b Cheri LeBlanc, MD: Cameron: Views from a college student

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cameron: Views from a college student


I just received this email from Kari, one of the college students from Seacoast Church in South Carolina that came to serve in Cameron. I loved hearing about how these 3 days impacted her. I think you will, too.

Hey, Sorry it took me so long to respond. It has been so busy since school started. I just wanted to thank you for the opportunity to travel to LA and take part in such a uplifting mission trip. This was my first "medical" mission trip, and to tell you the truth, I was scared to death on the way up there.

Leslie and I did not know we were going until about four days before we left from SC. It was really a last minute thing. We had to find people to cover six shifts at work between both of us, and it is amazing how God took care of everything and we were able to go.

I was telling my parents when I got back, that you can just never prepare yourself for seeing such devastation. When we were driving up there and we went through New Orleans, and I saw the houses, and the spray paint still on houses, I remember seeing one that said "dead dog" and I just couldn't imagine to have to come home and see that, or to come home and not have a home at all. This trip taught me a lot.

To interact with the people of Cameron, who virtually lost everything they had, but yet many of them still hung on to a thin line of hope. Their testimonies were amazing to me, and there stories of struggles, and trying to just survive day to day, was something my mind couldn't comprehend. Because personally I have never had to go through something like this, and to be there first hand and see it with my own two eyes, and not through the news or magazine, I was completly speechless.

The town of Cameron has hope. The community has come together to help each other out, from what I could gather. There were some people who I talked to, who seemed to be losing some of that hope, but yet the simple fact that people took their time to come and give medical care, feed them, and have school supplies, and that we just wanted to sit down and talk to them, gave them hope, gave them a reason to get up out of bed and face a new day, and gave them hope to trust in Jesus Christ.

This is was a moment in my life that I will never be able to forget, I learned so many things and also grew in my relationship with God. Thank you again for the opputunity to allow Charleston, Sc to come to LA. Thank you for your hospitality and for buying me PB and J's!

God Bless your ministry, and I am praying for it everyday!

God Bless
Kari Ray

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home